1920s — 1940s
- The birth of Nugget! Father-and-son team William and Mack Stille open the first Nugget Market in Woodland, Calif., in 1926.
- They help pioneer many new concepts in the grocery industry, including refrigerated produce cases, checkstands with takeaway power belts and a full meat department within the store (usually the domain of butcher shops in those days).
- Mack, always passionate about produce, travels the western United States seeking the freshest, highest-quality produce available. Nugget eventually teams with United Produce for greater selection.
1950s — 1970s
- Mack Stille’s son, Gene, becomes CEO/President of Nugget Markets (Gene holds the title of Chairman of the Board at Nugget today, and can often be seen chatting and bagging our guests’ groceries).
- Nugget makes a commitment to low prices, establishing its Everyday Low Price format with great success.
- Nugget’s Deli department becomes a focus within the store, offering an expanded takeout food selection with an emphasis on freshness, quality and convenience.
1980s — 1990s
- Nugget Market opens a second location on Mace Blvd. in Davis. Nugget also purchases two Alpha Beta stores in Sacramento and converts them into Nuggets No. 3 and 4. The Stilles also open two Food 4 Less stores in Vallejo and Woodland, becoming the first independent grocers to operate both price-impact and conventional-format stores.
- Gene’s son, Eric, becomes CEO/President of Nugget Markets, and Gene carries on as chairman of Nugget’s Board of Directors.
- Nugget begins its long-standing partnership with Nor Cal Produce, allowing for an expanded and diversified produce selection.
2000 — Present
- Nugget Markets opens its first European marketplace-style stores in Vacaville and Davis, featuring expanded kitchens, European-style bakeries, in-house chefs and expanded wine selections.
- Nugget also opens additional store locations in West Sacramento, Roseville and on Florin Road in Sacramento. The Stilles buy the vacant Sam’s Town Center in Cameron Park and open their third Food 4 Less location.
- Nugget locations in El Dorado Hills and Elk Grove opened in 2008.