- Prep time:
- 25 minutes
- Cook time:
- 15 minutes
- Serves 4-6
2 out of 5
- 1 basket, firm but ripe Black Mission figs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 pint fresh Mozzarella "ciligiene"
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Heat outdoor grill or stovetop griddle over medium flame. Halve figs lengthwise, brush with with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with both salt and pepper. Place each fig half face down on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove promptly. Set figs aside and allow them to cool to room temperature.
Strain liquid from fresh Mozzarella; if you use a larger shape of fresh Mozzarella, cut into cherry-sized pieces. Place cheese in a medium-sized bowl; add minced shallots, rosemary, remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Transfer cooled figs to cheese mixture, plus any fig juices found at the bottom of the bowl. Gently toss ingredients together, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Serve salad at room temperature with grilled chicken, beef or lamb. This salad is great for summer picnics and fall entertaining, while fresh figs are in season.