From fun facts to pro tips for prepping perfect rice without a rice cooker, we’ve got all sorts of great info to share about these amazing grains. Check it out!
Grains of Truth: Fun facts revolving around rice!
- The sushi at Nugget Markets is made fresh with 100% local rice from Arbuckle, California!
- Black rice, wild rice and brown rice supply energizing carbs, key minerals like iron and zinc, and an array of B vitamins along with fiber. – Dr. Liz Applegate, PhD
- Rice planted in California today traces its roots back to Japanese varieties more than a century old.*
- California supplies nearly all of America’s sushi rice, with 97% of it grown in the Sacramento Valley.*
- It takes about the same amount of water to grow a serving of rice as it does oranges or broccoli.*
- Rice is grown in only 5 inches of water on precision leveled fields of heavy clay soils which hold water like a bathtub.*
*Fun facts courtesy of California Rice Commission.
Rice to Meet You! Which type of rice is right for you?
- Calrose: Medium grain developed in CA
- Short Grain: Super for sushi
- Bomba: Perfect for paella
- Jasmine: Fragrant long grain
- Arborio: Just right for risotto
- Basmati: Ideal for Indian cuisine
- Black: A.k.a. forbidden rice
- Brown: Whole grain sans husk
- White: Milled to remove husk, bran and germ
- Wild: Not a grain, but a grass!
Rice Advice: Pro tips for cooking a perfect pot of rice every time.
Combine 1 cup rice with 1¾ cups water in a smallish pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat, fluff rice, cover and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.