Looking to eat better but not willing to give up the beef? It’s easy to go lean without losing flavor or texture! All you need is the right kind of meat and a few simple cooking tips.
On the lean meat front, Certified Piedmontese Beef is the perfect choice. Prized for its natural leanness and heavy musculature, this breed of cattle is both tender and flavorful without the need for fatty marbling. The cattle are also raised humanely and sustainably on family ranches in the Great Plains without any added hormones or antibiotics. As an added bonus, both their pre-packaged Sirloin Steaks (8-ounce package) and Extra Lean Ground Beef (96% lean, 4% fat) are American Heart Association Certified!
To make the most out of your lean beef, follow these pro cooking tips for mouthwatering meat:
- Bring your steaks to room temperature before cooking.
- Don’t be afraid to add oil during the cooking process or to the finished product, as it doesn’t have much of its own.
- Use tongs when turning the beef as a fork will pierce the surface and allow juices to run out making it dry.
- Braise items that are to be well done, cook at a low temperature (250-300°F), covered, with the addition of stock or other liquid to help make the meat tender.
- For meats that are roasted, sear over high heat and cook no more than medium rare. Allow meat to rest a minimum of 10 minutes before carving to allow the juices to be absorbed back into the meat
- For steaks that are medium well or well done, carve very thin against the grain and serve with a sauce to add moisture back to the meat.
Ready to cook? Visit our meat department to pick up your perfect cut!