- Prep time
- 20 minutes PT20M
- Cook time
- 15–20 minutes PT20M
- 6–8 servings
This warm, flavorful and protein-packed soup is the perfect comfort food on a cold day.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into ¼-inch coins
- 3 stalks celery, sliced ¼-inch on the bias
- 6½ ounces Andouille sausage, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion becomes translucent. Add carrots and celery and cook 1 minute. Add Andouille sausage, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper to stock pot, then add chicken stock and stir.
Bring stock to a simmer, then add tomatoes, cannellini beans, parsley and quinoa. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until quinoa grains are fully cooked and begin to burst.
To serve, ladle into bowls and serve with rustic bread.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- simmer (I)
- simmer (I): to maintain the temperature of a liquid just below boiling.