- Prep time
- 20 minutes
- Cook time
- 15 to 20 minutes
- 6-8 portions
This warm, flavorful and protein-packed soup is the perfect comfort food on a cold day.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into ¼-inch thick coins
- 3 stalks celery, sliced ¼-inch on the bias
- 6½ ounces Andouille sausage, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can Cannellini beans, drained (may substitute other type of canned bean)
- ¼ cup flatleaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion becomes translucent. Add carrots and celery and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add Andouille sausage, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper to stock pot, then add chicken stock.
Bring stock to a simmer and add diced tomatoes, Cannellini beans, parsley and quinoa. Simmer soup for 10 more minutes or until quinoa grains are fully cooked and begin to burst. Ladle into bowls and serve with rustic bread.