Recipes Nugget Markets Signature Recipes
Shrimp with Rice & Beans
- Prep time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- Cook time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- 2–4 servings
Rice simmered in enchilada sauce gives this shrimp dish its amazing, deep flavor. Make sure to sauté your shrimp until just cooked through to avoid the dreaded rubberiness.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups white rice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ cup water
- 1¾ cups Fresh to Market Enchilada Sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and small diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ pound 16/20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco, crumble
Heat a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté until they begin to caramelize. Add the rice and cumin and cook until the rice begins to toast and just begins to brown slightly.
Add the water and enchilada sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 20–25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Fold in the roasted red bell pepper and black beans. Cover and hold warm.
Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When it begins to smoke, add the shrimp and sauté on each side for 30 seconds or until just cooked through.
Place the rice and beans on a serving dish. Garnish with cilantro, sliced jalapeño and queso fresco. Top with shrimp and serve.