- Prep time
- 15 minutes PT15M
- Cook time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- 4 hors d’oeuvres
Wild earthy mushrooms balance out the gentle tang of the goat cheese in this simply delicious flatbread.
- 1 ball Nugget Markets' pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 8 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Heat an oven to 400ºF. Halve the pizza dough and roll each piece out into 1/4-inch thick free form rounds. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Grill the dough rounds, flipping once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and shallots and, cook, stirring, until they are just beginning to color, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are golden and their liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Divide the mozzarella over the flatbreads and spread evenly. Top with the cooked mushrooms and dot with the goat cheese. Bake in the oven, directly on the rack, until the cheese has melted, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and sprinkle with the fresh herbs and drizzle with more oil. Slice and serve.
Tip: If your dough keeps shrinking, cover with a kitchen towel and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. This relaxes the gluten in the dough and lets you stretch it.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- grill (I)
- grill (I): a cooking technique in which foods are cooked by a radiant heat source placed below the food.