- Prep time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- Cook time
- 20 minutes PT20M
- 2 cups
Not your average slaw, this winsome combination wows with an orange juice and white balsamic reduction.
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chayote, peeled and seeds removed, julienned fine
- 1 cup canary melon, julienned fine
- ½ cup green cabbage, julienned fine
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Reduce ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice down to 2 ounces, and place in refrigerator to chill. Reduce white balsamic by half, until it has a syrup-like consistency, and place in refrigerator to chill.
Combine chayote, canary melon and cabbage in a bowl. Toss with orange juice and white balsamic reductions. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- julienne: vegetables, potatoes, or other items cut into strips; 1/8-inch square x 1 to 2 inches is standard. Fine julienne is 1/16-inch square.
- reduce: to decrease the volume of a liquid by simmering or boiling; used to provide a thicker consistency and/or concentrated flavors.