- Prep time
- 25 minutes PT25M
- Cook time
- 30–40 minutes PT40M
- 4 servings
Absolutely packed with veggies, this plant-based soup satisfies with its rich umami flavor. Kick up the heat with extra chili flakes if desired.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 piece lemongrass, crushed and cut into 3–4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 onion, julienned
- 2 carrots, medium diced
- 2 ounces mirin
- 2 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup green lentils, sorted for stones and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 scallions, bias cut, for garnish
Heat vegetable oil in an 8-quart sauce pot on medium heat. Add lemongrass, ginger and garlic, and sauté until wilted and aromatic. Add shiitake mushrooms, onions and carrots, then sauté for 1–2 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
Add mirin and rice wine vinegar and reduce to a light syrup. Add vegetable stock and lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook on low for 20–30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
Remove lemongrass, fold in cabbage and season with salt and chili flakes. Simmer for 2 minutes, then serve garnished with scallions.