- Prep time
- 20 minutes PT20M
- Cook time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- 4–6 servings
Also called Tuscan kale, dino kale has exceptionally sturdy leaves that retain their crispness even when vigorously dressed and tossed. A generous amount of fennel, combined with sweet-tart dried cranberries and orange vinaigrette, give this healthy salad a hearty dose of flavor, as well.
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup Champagne vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 bunches dino kale, chopped
- 1 head fennel, shaved thin
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 4–6 ounces orange vinaigrette
To make the dressing, heat orange juice, ¼ cup vinegar, shallots, ginger and orange zest in a sauce pot. Bring to a simmer and reduce to a light syrup. Transfer to a work bowl and let chill to room temperature.
Whisk in the Dijon mustard, remaining vinegar and honey, and then whisk in the sunflower oil to emulsify. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
To make the salad, combine the kale, fennel, sunflower seeds and cranberries in a work bowl. Add desired amount of dressing and mix well until the kale is evenly coated. Serve immediately.
*Dressing will keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.