- Prep time
- 10 minutes, plus 20–30 minutes churn time PT30M
- Cook time
- N/A PT0
- about 5 cups
Making your own ice cream is simpler than you think! Get started with this basic recipe, then mix it up with fun and flavorful mix-ins like strawberry jam and pound cake, toffee and pecans, our Bakery’s famous Brownie Bites or whatever your heart desires.
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
Strawberry Shortcake Garnish
- 2 cups pound cake, frozen and diced small
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
Chocolate Brownie Garnish
- 3 cups brownies, diced small
Toffee Pecan Garnish
- 1 cup toffee pieces
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Prepare ice cream maker per manufacturer instructions.
Combine milk, brown sugar, and salt in a small sauce pot. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and add cream and vanilla paste, then place in refrigerator to chill.
When cold, place in ice cream maker and churn until it's the consistency of soft served ice cream.
Fold in desired garnishes and transfer to freezer to set. If ice cream has been frozen overnight, temper for ten minutes at room temperature before scooping.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- temper: to heat gently and gradually. May refer to the process of incorporating hot liquid into a liason to gradually raise its temperature. May also refer to the proper method for melting chocolate or fondant.