- Prep time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- Cook time
- 4–5 minutes PT5M
- 4–6 servings
Savory flavors of fennel and sage set off the sweet addition of maple syrup in these delicious herbed patties.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chiffonade
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Combine salt, pepper, fennel and sage in a work bowl. Add pork and mix to combine spices. Pour maple syrup over pork and work the meat again to incoporate the syrup. Form meat into approximately 8 patties.
Heat sauté pan and add oil. Fry patties over medium heat approximately 1–2 minutes on each side.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- fry: to cook in fat or oil over direct heat.
chiffonade: leafy vegetables or herbs cut into fine shreds or thin ribbons; often used as a garnish.
- fennel seed
- <p><strong>fennel seed:</strong> a graceful, feathery perennial believed to be indigenous to southern Europe. It is found growing wild in most areas of the temperate zone; its hardy nature has made it somewhat of a pest in vacant lots and along rural roads.</p><p>Fennel seed is pungent and flavorful. It is a popular component of sausages and makes an excellent addition to pork, duck, chicken, and heartier types of seafood dishes. </p>