- Prep time
- 15 minutes PT15M
- Cook time
- 15 minutes PT15M
- Serves 2
- ¼ lb. rock shrimp
- ¼ cup Louisiana Hot Link Sausage, diced
- ½ lb. penne rigate pasta, cooked
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, puréed
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- ¼ cup red onion, julienned
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup Romano cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and Romano cheese
Heat sauce pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook until they start to turn slightly brown. Add red onion, red bell pepper and Louisiana Hot Link. Sauté for 1 minute, then add white wine and rock shrimp.
Turn heat to medium-high and simmer until shrimp is fully cooked and wine starts to reduce. Lower heat to medium, then add heavy cream, roasted red bell pepper purée, basil and salt; simmer about 2 minutes, then add Romano cheese. Toss mixture with hot cooked pasta and serve immediately.
Garnish with fresh basil and an extra sprinkling of Romano cheese.
Techniques used in this recipe:
simmer (I)simmer (I): to maintain the temperature of a liquid just below boiling. pureepuree: to process food (by mashing, straining, or chopping it very fine) in order to make it a smooth paste. Also, a product produced using this technique. mincemince: to chop into very small pieces. juliennejulienne: vegetables, potatoes, or other items cut into strips; 1/8-inch square x 1 to 2 inches is standard. Fine julienne is 1/16-inch square.
A classic white wine made famous in Burgundy, France, it's now grown all over the world. It takes oak well and is often fermented and aged in oak barrels. Full bodied, with rich flavors of vanilla, butter, green apple and tropical fruit (banana, pineapple).