- Prep time
- 20-25 minutes PT25M
- Cook time
- 40-45 minutes PT45M
- 6-8 sevings
Top this deliciously hearty soup with smoked bacon for a cozy comfort food that will warm you up from the inside out.
- 4 slices smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery root (celeriac), 2-2½ pounds, peeled and chopped coarse
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped coarse
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Olive oil or crème fraîche for garnish
Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
In a stockpot, melt butter and cook onion until transparent. Add celeriac, potatoes, chicken stock and white wine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer vegetables until just tender, then puree in a blender and return to pot.
Beat cream until slightly thickened, then stir into soup. Bring to a soft boil and whisk in lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Serve topped with reserved smoked bacon and a light drizzle of olive oil or a dollop of crème fraîche.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- sweat: to cook an item, usually vegetables, in a covered pan in a small amount of fat until it softens and releases moisture.
- fry: to cook in fat or oil over direct heat.