- Prep time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- Cook time
- 3-4 minutes PT4M
- 4-6 servings
Top simple grilled asparagus with a homemade black bean salsa for a delicious vegetarian side dish.
- 2 lemons, juiced; zest of 1
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and diced fine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium-high.
Combine lemon juice and zest in a large bowl. Add red onion, garlic and jalapeño then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and let rest. Mix together with tomatoes, black beans and cilantro, then set aside.
Once the grill is preheated, toss asparagus in olive oil and salt. Place aspargus on the grill over direct heat and grill for 3-4 minutes or until just the outside of the asparagus gives under pressure—be careful not to overcook.
To serve, arrange asparagus on a plate and top with salsa.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- grill (I)
- grill (I): a cooking technique in which foods are cooked by a radiant heat source placed below the food.
- direct heat
- direct heat: a method of heat transfer in which heat waves radiate from a source (for example, an open burner or grill) and travel directly to the item being heated with no conductor between heat source and food. Examples are grilling, broiling, and toasting.
- dice: to cut ingredients into small cubes (1/4 inch for small, 1/3 inch for medium, 3/4 inch for large).
- chop (I)
- chop (I): to cut into pieces of roughly the same size.
- <strong>zest:</strong> colored part of the peel of citrus fruit which contains flavorful oils.