Recipes Nugget Markets Signature Recipes
Yam "Noodles" with Marinated Feta Emulsion
- Prep time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- Cook time
- 1 minute PT1M
- Serves 4
This may look like a pasta dish, but it is actually a salad. It takes a bit of specialized equipment, but once you buy the spiral slicer, the sky's the limit. The sweetness of the yams is paired with the tangy feta to create depth and balance.
- 1 yam, peeled and spiral sliced
- 10 asparagus spears, bias cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 oz. container marinated feta, strained (reserve the oil)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, sliced thin (optional)
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and set up an ice bath.
Spiral cut the peeled yam on a spiral cutter. Blanch the asparagus and the yam "noodles" for 1 minute and then shock in an ice bath.
Place the vinegar, mustard, and feta in a blender and puree, slowly adding the oil from the marinade to form an emulsion. It will be fairly thick, but this will thin when mixed with the yams and asparagus.
Strain the water from the yams and asparagus and divide into four portions. Dress each portion with 1 tablespoon of the feta emulsion.
Garnish with a thinly sliced shallot (optional).
Techniques used in this recipe:
- dressed (II)
- dressed (II): coated with dressing, as in a salad.
- puree: to process food (by mashing, straining, or chopping it very fine) in order to make it a smooth paste. Also, a product produced using this technique.