- Prep time
- 10 minutes PT10M
- Cook time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- 8 servings
This fresh soup provides a rainbow of key nutrients vital for healthy skin, immune function, circulation and vision in fewer than 180 calories per serving.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
- 1 bunch dino kale, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 green onion, sliced for garnish
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over high heat. When oil begins to smoke, add chicken and sear 5-6 minutes on each side to brown. Add onion, garlic, carrots and chard and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with sliced green onion.
One big bowl of soup supplies 100% of vitamin C and 20% of potassium needs. And thanks to the rainbow vegetables, this soup also supplies colorful pigments such as beta-carotene, lutein and cryptoxanthin, which along with vitamin C and potassium, support heart health and ward off chronic ailments such as cancer and high blood pressure. - Dr. Liz
Techniques used in this recipe:
- chop (I)
- chop (I): to cut into pieces of roughly the same size.
- sear: to brown the surface of food in fat over high heat before finishing by another method (for example, braising) in order to add flavor.
- simmer (I)
- simmer (I): to maintain the temperature of a liquid just below boiling.