- Prep time:
- 10 minutes, plus 12 hours marinating
- Cook time:
- 45-60 minutes
- 4 servings
1 out of 5
- Share this recipe:
Escape to paradise with the bold, flavorful blend of citrus and heat in this sweet and spicy marinade.
- 6 habanero peppers
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup distilled vinegar
- ½ cup tamari
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 whole chicken, cut into quarters
To make the marinade, puree all ingredients except the chicken in a blender until smooth and well incorporated. Refrigerate for 2-24 hours to allow flavors to develop, then use within 7 days.
Pour marinade over chicken, reserving approximately ¼ of the marinade for basting and dipping. Refrigerate chicken and reserved marinade for at least 12 hours.
When ready to roast the chicken, preheat oven to 400°F.
Roast chicken in a roasting pan, basting frequently with reserved marinade, for approximately 45-60 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°F.
Serve with fried plantains.