- Prep time
- 15 minutes PT15M
- Cook time
- 45 minutes PT45M
- 4 servings
This rich, creamy and flavorful Indian dish is a great start to a family-style feast.
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cut into large cubes or strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
In a medium pot, heat oil over high heat.
Season chicken with salt, then saute just long enough for it to brown slightly, not cooking it all the way. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions begin to turn translucent. Add tomato paste, spices and bay leaf and cook for a few more minutes, until aromatic.
Add stock, cream and chicken. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, remove and discard the bay leaf, fold in the yogurt. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve with white or brown rice, and finish with fresh cilantro.