- Prep time
- 15 minutes PT15M
- Cook time
- 45 minutes PT45M
- 4 servings
Rich, creamy, aromatic and flavorful, this classic Indian dish is a fantastic start to a family-style dinner.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cut into large cubes or strips
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup small diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
In a medium pot, heat oil over high heat.
Season chicken with ½ tablespoon salt, then sauté just long enough for it to brown slightly, not cooking it all the way. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions begin to turn translucent. Add tomato paste, spices and bay leaf and cook for a few more minutes, until aromatic.
Add stock, cream and chicken. Season with pepper and remaining salt (or to taste) and simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf and fold in the yogurt. Adjust seasonings to taste and finish with fresh cilantro.