Recipes Nugget Markets Signature Recipes
Orange Macadamia Nut Fried Rice
- Prep time
- 3 hours PT3H
- Cook time
- 30 minutes PT30M
- 8-10 servings
A little sweet, a little spicy and all good, this tropical take on fried rice makes a great addition to a family dinner.
- 3 navel oranges, zested and juiced
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups long-grain white or brown rice
- 1½ cups macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 14-oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
Add water to orange juice to equal 3¾ cups liquid, then pour into a sauce pot with half of the orange zest, half of the grated ginger and salt. Bring to a boil.
Rinse rice thoroughly under cold running water, drain well and add to the boiling liquid. Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff cooked rice with a fork, transfer to a shallow dish and place in refrigerator to chill completely, about 2 hours.
Place macadamia nuts in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes or until they are lightly toasted. When cool, rough chop and set aside.
When rice has cooled, add vegetable oil to a preheated wok or skillet over high heat. When the oil begins to lightly smoke, add scallions, red bell pepper and remaining grated ginger and orange zest. Stir-fry until bell pepper is tender, about 1-2 minutes.
Add rice to wok with other vegetables and stir-fry for several minutes. Mix in macadamia nuts, pineapple chunks and ⅔ of the cilantro. Add soy sauce and Tabasco sauce, adjusting amounts to taste. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve.
Techniques used in this recipe:
- chop (I)
- chop (I): to cut into pieces of roughly the same size.
- dice: to cut ingredients into small cubes (1/4 inch for small, 1/3 inch for medium, 3/4 inch for large).
Colored part of the peel of citrus fruit which contains flavorful oils.