- Prep time
- 15 minutes
- Cook time
- 25 minutes
- 6 servings
Hearty lentils and flavorful balsamic vinaigrette complement a variety of fresh vegetables in this light and healthy salad.
- 10 ounces lentils, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, large diced
- 1 carrot, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups broth or water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, deseeded and medium diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ small red onion, julienned
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette
Place dry lentils on a low-sided baking sheet. Pull lentils from one side to the other in small quantities to check for small stones or debris, then rinse with water and drain.
Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the diced onion, chopped carrot and celery, bay leaf and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add lentils and enough water or broth to cover the lentils by 1–2 inches. Bring to a gentle simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for about 25 minutes, stirring gently every 5 minutes, until lentils are softened but retain their shape. Add additional water or broth as needed to keep lentils submerged.
When lentils are done, strain in a colander and lay on lined baking sheet to cool. Remove the vegetables and bay leaf from the lentils and discard.
Combine cooled lentils with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Gently stir until dressing is fully incorporated, then serve.