- Prep time
- 90 minutes
- Cook time
- 30 minutes
- 4 servings
This fresh and flavorful take on a classic gyro features grilled halloumi cheese as the protein with absolutely delicious results.
- 16 ounces halloumi cheese, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 4 pitas, lightly grilled
- 12 ounces Herb & Cumin Yogurt
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups Tomato Parsley Salad
- ½ red onion, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, grilled
Tomato Parsley Salad:
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Herb & Cumin Yogurt:
- 7 ounces plain Greek or Icelandic yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
Start preparing the Tomato Parsley Salad by combining bulgur wheat and boiling water in a large bowl, then covering and setting aside to soak for 1 hour.
After an hour, drain any excess liquid, then add lemon juice, olive oil and 1½ teaspoons salt and stir to combine. Add green onions, mint, parsley and tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste.
To make the Herb & Cumin Yogurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
For the gyros, grill halloumi cheese until well browned, 1-2 minutes per side.
On each warm pita, spread Herb & Cumin Yogurt, then add spinach, Tomato Parsley Salad, grilled halloumi, red onion and bell peppers.