- Prep time
- 20 minutes
- Cook time
- 15 minutes
- 8 cups
- 3 ears yellow corn
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized red onion, sliced into ¼-inch-thick strips
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 serrano chili
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- ½ bunch fresh basil
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seed
- juice of ½ lemon
- Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Shave corn kernels from ears; set aside. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan; caramelize onions over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. When onions reach a golden-brown hue, add corn and cook an additional 1 minute before turning off the heat. Stir occasionally.
While onions and corn cool, dice tomatoes into ¼-inch cubes. Cut serrano chili in half, remove and discard the seeds and membrane (this is where the heat of the chili resides), and mince. Pick herbs, discard stems, then chop coarse.
Transfer onion-and-corn mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl and toss together with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve chilled or room temperature over grilled chicken or fish.