- Prep time
- 30 minutes
- Cook time
- 20 minutes
- 2 servings
This soba noodle bowl is prepared in a style typical of what you might find throughout the Pacific Rim, especially Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia where sesame oil, fish sauce, chili paste and lemongrass replace the broth otherwise found in mainland China and Japan.
- 6 ounces soba noodles, dry
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 2 tablespoons carrot matchsticks
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, blanched and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cashews, roasted, salted and chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped thin
- 1 Serrano pepper, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 2 sprigs cilantro or mint, for garnish
Add soba noodles to boiling water and cook for 5-6 minutes, until cooked through but still al dente; immediately chill in ice bath.
Drain noodles, toss in sesame oil and divide between two bowls. Arrange remaining ingredients over noodles, drizzle with fish sauce and garnish with lime wedge and fresh cilantro or mint.