- Prep time
- 5 minutes
- Cook time
- 40 minutes
- 4 servings
This mildly sweet and spicy dish brings the traditional flavors of Thailand home to your kitchen.
- ¾ cup shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, minced or pureed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or pureed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stems, minced
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 tablespoons turmeric root, minced or pureed
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk or cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, optional
- 1½ pounds shrimp (16/20 count), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, for garnish
Blend shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, cilantro stems, green curry paste, sugar, salt, turmeric and water until smooth.
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add puree and cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes, until it just begins to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add coconut milk and chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add lime juice, fish sauce and shrimp and cook for 3–4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink; be careful not to overcook. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with rice noodles and sautéed vegetables.